Want to maximize your garden’s productivity and minimize potential crop problems? This publication will walk you through the basics of the most common crops grown in community gardens. Topics include:
- choosing types and cultivars
- intensive gardening
- the growing season
- plant health
- cool-season crops (planting, harvesting, common problems, and tips)
- warm-season crops (planting, harvesting, common problems, and tips)
- challenges of community gardening
- crops you may want to think twice about
- crops for food pantries
Common Crops for Community Gardens will help you trouble-shoot common produce problems so your garden is as bountiful as can be (8 pages; 2013).
Common Crops for Community Gardens is part of People+Plants: How to Grow a Community Garden, a multimedia series on how to build, maintain, and make the most of community gardens.
Want to learn more?
Site Considerations (10-minute video)
Raised Bed and Container Gardening (7-minute video)
Planting Techniques (2-minute video)
Safe Harvest (2-minute video)